Subh; Kabul: The deadly attack on the Sayed Ul-Shuhada school in Dasht-e-Barchi in the 13th district of Kabul has drawn widespread condemnation internationally. At the same time, the Interior Ministry announced the nature of the attack and announced an increase in casualties.
Interior Ministry spokesperson Tariq Arian said that according to preliminary statistics, more than 50 people had been killed and more than 100 injured in the attack.
The explosion took place at 4:27 pm on Saturday, May 8, when the female students of the Sayed Ul-Shuhada school were on leave. Tariq Arian says that the type of explosion was a car bomb and that afterwards, two landmines planted in the area also exploded.
Dastgir Nazari, spokesperson for the Ministry of Public Health, said 27 people had been killed and 83 were injured in hospitals since the attack on the Sayed Ul-Shuhada school. These statistics are preliminary and the number of casualties may increase.
The attack on the Sayed Ul-Shuhada school has not only met with widespread reactions and condemnation at the national level, but also at the international level.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has called the attack “horrific”. He expressed condolences to the families of the victims and called for the perpetrators to be punished.
The UN Secretary-General also stressed the need to end the violence in Afghanistan and find a peaceful solution.
The US State Department has also condemned the attack on the Sayed Ul-Shuhada school in a statement. The department has called for an immediate end to the violence and the indiscriminate targeting of innocent civilians. The United States is committed to continuing to support and engage with the Afghan people and to ensure that the achievements of the past two decades are protected.
The Swedish Foreign Ministry also called the attack on the Sayed Ul-Shuhada school shocking. The ministry called for a reduction in violence and stressed that a ceasefire should be a priority. Sweden has also said that it is important to protect the achievements of the past 20 years, including human rights and the rights of girls and women in Afghanistan.
The European Union (EU) has said in response to the attack that targeting civilians, including children attending the Sayed Ul-Shuhada school in Kabul’s Dasht Barchi, is a clear violation of international humanitarian law.
The EU has strongly condemned the attack. The union has called for the perpetrators of the attack on the school to be punished and held accountable.
UNICEF has also strongly condemned the attack on the Sayed Ul-Shuhada School. UNICEF has called the attack on schools unacceptable and stressed that the school environment should be a “paradise of peace” for children to socialize and play in safety.
UNICEF has called on all parties to abide by international humanitarian law and ensure the safety of children.
No individual or group has claimed responsibility for the attack on the Sayed Ul-Shuhada school. The government has blamed the Taliban for the attack. The group, however, denied involvement in the attack and attributed it to the government.